<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Saturday, February 19, 2005

Supergroups... not that super, as it turns out. 

I'm getting a little tired of this new trend with alt-rock supergroups. I'll admit, I liked the first Velvet Revolver single, and I didn't completely hate the first Alter Bridge single. But the second and third Velvet Revolver singles were ass on a stick, and every time I hear the new Alter Bridge song, I want to gouge out my eardrum with a rusty nail. And, honestly, who's excited about the new Audioslave album?
Here's the main problem with supergroups: they're not as good as their old bands. Take Audioslave. They're not as good as Soundgarden OR Rage Against the Machine. Velvet Revolver certainly aren't as good as Guns 'N Roses, and they're worse than STP, too. And granted, I only know that one song by Mayfield Four, but it was better than Alter Bridge. (Creed were about as crappy as Alter Bridge, as it turns out).

Will we see more of these monstrosities? I think so. Alice in Chains already announced they're getting back together (minus Layne Staley, of course) with the lead singer of Damageplan for a charity benefit next month. Will they stay together? Hey, why not? And honestly, who would be surprised to see the lead singer of Candlebox crop up with a couple of guys from Sponge and the drummer from the Nixons in a post-grunge supergroup?
This did happen once before, in the early '80s. Asia, Damn Yankees, even Bad Company, all supergroups. Jimmy Page was in two: The Firm and then Coverdale/Page. If you can name one song either of these two bands sang, e-mail me and I'll eat an Audioslave CD jacket. No fair looking it up on allmusic, though.

Comments:
I should add that the drummer from the Nixons is actually now in Seether, so he is unavailable for a supergroup. Zac Maloy, on the other hand... his calendar is free.
 
Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?