<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Sunday, February 06, 2005

Drummer shake-ups and matchbox break-ups 

So, if you're a nu-metal drummer seeking to join a band, the competition got a lot stiffer. First Fuel's drummer quit (and said in an online post that Brett Scallions, the lead signer, had been lip-syncing the last tour because his vocal cords were shredded), then Nickleback unexpectedly fired their drummer, who told the Edmonton newspaper that Three Doors Down's drummer was about to join the NB rock machine (which hasn't officially happened yet, and 3DD have a new album out Tuesday, so I bet won't happen). I'm not sure why I care so much about the comings-and-goings of rock bands I don't even particularly like (if you surf the archives, you'll see I own Fuel's first two albums, but I haaate Nickelback). I guess drama is fun for everybody. Besides, Fuel, Nickelback, Three Doors Down, Theory of A Deadman, Staind, and all their buddies are destined for Night Ranger / Loverboy-style irrelevance here in a year or two anyway.

Meanwhile, Adam Gaynor, the not-as-funny-looking guitarist from Matchbox 20 (oh, sorry... matchbox twenty) announced he was leaving the band, and MB20 said they "had decided not to retain his services." Sounds like the boy got canned. I knew a girl in college who went to several MB20 shows in New Orleans before "Push" hit big, and she was sorta e-mail buddies with Adam. The story I got back in the day was that Adam and the other, more-funny-looking guitarist were just hired hands brought in by the producer for the first album, and that the band that was signed to Atlantic was just Rob Thomas, the bass player, and the drummer. So sounds like the guy was lucky to stick around this long. One of my guilty pleasure songs at the moment is "Downfall," off MB20's last album. I know as a good, keeping-it-real rocker, I shouldn't like Matchbox 20 anymore. But damn it, I still do.

(other) Guilty Pleasure of the Week Breaking Benjamin, "So Cold." Better than it has any right to be.

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?