<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Saturday, December 04, 2004

November 4: Virginwool - Open Heart Surgery 

This is one of the few albums that I bought because I liked the cover. Seriously, I was in Tulsa at this indie shop (Starship Records, if you guys know Tulsa), and I was trying to talk the owner into carrying the 12 Pearls CD. So I thought I'd butter him up by buying a CD, and picked this one because the jacket looked pretty cool.

Mistake.

Turns out (thanks to some allmusic research) that Virginwool are part of the same northern Florida music scene that brought us Matchbox 20, Sister Hazel, and Creed (and the Backstreet Boys and 'NSync, but forget them for a minute). Not that this band is nearly as good as any of those bands. Well, I guess they're better than Creed. According to allmusic, the band got signed because the song "You're the Girl" got a ton of airplay on the radio in northern Florida. Odd, I thought that was one of the worst songs on here.
To me, the whole album sounded like a huge Stereophonics ripoff, which is weird, because Stereophonics were never popular in the U.S., so if you're a U.S. record company, why sign a band that sounds like them?
This one's going on the sell pile.

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?