<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Saturday, December 18, 2004

November 24: Live - V 

I feel like a battered woman when it comes to Live; they keep hitting me in the face with their crap, and I keep coming back for more.
This was Live's fifth album (hence the title... remember this for later, kids: roman numerals aren't that cool), and it is pretty freakin' terrible. Ed Kowalczyk is experimenting with hip-hop on several of the tracks, and comes off as the Sugarhill Gang's clueless white neighbor. And when he's not trying to rap, he's preaching some sort of unformed Eastern mysticism (as on "Forever May Not Be Long Enough," the overblown song from The Mummy Returns). This probably would have been a career-killer had it not been for Sept. 11. Some dude made a video using Live's "overcome" with footage of the Twin Towers and sent it to VH-1 and MTV, who ended up spinning it a lot in the weeks afterward. And, as it turns out, "Overcome" is the only decent song on here, so when people like me saw the video, they went out and bought the album. I feel hoodwinked. Hoodwinked, I tell you!

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?