<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Friday, December 17, 2004

November 19: Rancid - ... and out come the wolves 

Josh Joplin Group is good, but it's a bit of a depressing album. So I needed a pick-me-up, and Rancid'll do it. I'm not sure why I didn't do this during punk month, but oh well.
This is a great album, and when it came out in '95, it taught all the nĂ¼-punks like me who bought Green Day and Offspring what punk rock was really about (and led me into bands like Bad Religion and NOFX). "Roots Radicals"? "Time Bomb"? "Ruby Soho"? All on here.
I've been a bit disappointed with Rancid's albums after this one; they kind of abandoned all sense of melody, but this is a great album. And a fact that I think is forgotten is that Matt Freeman is a crazy-good bass player. Seriously; check out "Maxwell Murder." That dude can play. In fact, I was so inspired by this album that I started my own band with a dude who couldn't sing very well and a kick-ass bass player. Were we as good as Rancid? Not even close, dude.

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?