<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Friday, November 26, 2004

October 28: The Verve Pipe (self-titled) 

I don't know what's more surprising, how great this album was, or how crappy its follow-up, Underneath, was. I'd been a fan of that Verve Pipe song "The Freshmen;" I was a freshman in college at the time, how could I not be?
I didn't pick up the Verve Pipe's first album, but then a free copy of this one came to the Tulane newspaper's offices, and I snagged it because I liked the first single, "Hero." And... I was pleasantly surprised. Then very surprised. Then totally into it. This, seriously, is one of my favorite albums. Like a lot of follow-up albums, it's about the perils of being a rocker: check out "Supergig" or "La la." As a DJ in Oklahoma City said about the time this came out, it's like Verve Pipe spent two years in a basement listening to Matthew Sweet. Which is cool with me.
That's why I was so completely disappointed when Verve Pipe's third album came out and it completely sucked. I believe I sold it back within two weeks of buying it, I was so pissed off. So, here's my recommendation, kids: if you want some Verve Pipe, buy this album and download "The Freshmen." That's all you need.

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?