<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Saturday, November 20, 2004

October 22: Jimmy Eat World - Futures 

The reason I've gotten so behind in posting on this thing is that I wanted to really let this album digest with me before writing about it. Not to sound cooler-than-thou, but I've been into Jimmy Eat World since early '97, when I heard "Call It In the Air" on a CMJ sampler and picked up Static Prevails at the Mushroom in New Orleans in the $2 cut-out used bin. I ordered their self-titled EP and had it sent to me in England, I bought Clarity the week it came out, and I remember eagerly listening to an advance copy of Bleed American that the lead singer of 13 Stars brought with him to a show with 12p in Lawton in the summer of '01 (for some reason, listening to JEW in a metal club in Lawton seemed really subversive at the time). Simply put, I believe Jimmy Eat are the best young band out there (they're only my age), and have the potential to be spectacularly huge.

So does Futures deliver? Oh, yeah. It takes the best parts of Clarity and the best parts of Bleed American and builds on them. The band's jumped to the next level. I love it when a band gets some hype behind it, gets a lot of backing from the record company, and makes good on the expectations. Liz Phair is on backing vocals, and Gil Norton, the guy who produced Foo Fighters' Colour and the Shape and the last two Feeder albums, is behind the boards, so you know some money was thrown into this project. Man, this album is good. But you don't have to take my word for it...

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?