<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Thursday, September 30, 2004

September 24: REM - Out of Time 

The one with THE SONG ("Losing My Religion") on it. As Peter Buck once said, all of REM's history can be divided into pre-Losing My Religion, and post-Losing My Religion. This album propelled the band into the stratosphere, hit No. 1, and had two Top 10 singles. All without any touring.
See, after six albums in six years, then an 18-month tour for Green, the band was beyond exhausted. You can see it in their eyes if you watch the great video Tourfilm, which was shot the last night of the Green tour in Atlanta. And when they went into the studio for this album, apparently they only had two songs: "Low" and "Belong."
Even though this is one of their biggest albums, going back to it 13 years later, you notice how uneven it is. Get past "Losing My Religion," "Near Wild Heaven," and maybe "Country Feedback," and it's pretty weak. Having KRS-One in to rap on a song wasn't a very good idea, "Shiny Happy People" is so lightweight it's about to float away, and there's an instrumental smack dab in the middle of the album.
If anything, it's Mike Mills' album: he sings lead on two songs, and his backing vocals are way up in the mix elsewhere. With so little Michael Stipe and no tour to support it, it's no wonder there were malicious rumors around this time that Stipe was dying of AIDS (rumors that got worse given the death theme of Automatic for the People, the next album).
If you wonder what REM themselves think about this album, consider this: I've seen the band five times now, and the only songs off this album I've ever seen performed were "Losing My Religion" and "Country Feedback." and the only one on the greatest hits was "Losing My Religion."
Oh, if you're keeping track at home, this is REM's "life" album.

p.s. I realize I skipped Green, and I'm pissed off about it. I can't find my copy, and it's one of my favorite albums. I'm scouring the house for it now. If you have a copy to loan me, e-mail me at andrew@12pearls.net.

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?