<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Thursday, September 30, 2004

September 23: Green Day - American Idiot 

Thought in between REM's IRS years and Warner Bros. years was a good time to get in this CD, which I just bought.
I was a pretty big Green Day fan 10 years ago, when I was in high school. But then I didn't buy the second album, I only got the third album because I was sent a free copy at the paper I worked for, and I ignored the fourth album. I've seen the band twice, once in the late '90s and once around 2001 or so, and wasn't impressed either time. But then I heard "American Idiot" on the radio, and it sounded like Green Day had finally recaptured that old Green Day sound. And their new album was advertised as a "punk opera" in the vein of Tommy or Quadrophenia by the Who. So I checked it out.
And... it is AWESOME. I'm not exactly sure what the story is, but it involves a kid named Jimmy, Jesus of Suburbia (who is either Jimmy's alter ego or his pal), and Jimmy's girlfriend, Whatsername. And like a true opera, two of the tracks have five different "movements" each. Highly, highly recommended.

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?