<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Monday, August 16, 2004

August 2: Hootie and the Blowfish - Cracked Rear View 

Like Bush, you can't discuss '90s music without Hootie. This album was so big, it's hard to fathom now, when the best-selling CD of the year sells maybe four milion copies. Nearly 20 million people own this album. I think it came free with boxes of Rice Krispies at one point (or maybe that was Alanis Morrisette's album). I once heard Hootie referenced in a sermon.
Why did we love Hootie so much? Perhaps in a musical climate where Color Me Badd wanted to sex you up, and Trent Reznor wanted to f*ck you like an animal, it was comforting that Hootie only wanted you to hold his hand, and that the dolphins (the Miami Dolphins or the animals?) made him cry.
Actually, that's one of the things I noticed about Hootie when I listened to it again; there are a lot of references to crying, from "Let Her Cry" on down. Darius Rucker is apparently a weepy, weepy man.
My brother said Hootie is still really popular in South Carolina. Good for them. They were playing in L.A. when I was out there, but I didn't go. I did, however, go to see Harold and Kumar go to White Castle, and just thinking of those little burgers makes me want to burn this mother down. Let's do it, Matt! Let's burn this mother down!

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?