<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Monday, August 16, 2004

August 1: Bush - Sixteen Stone 

I began the month with a '90s band if there ever was one, Bush.
First of all, if anyone has a spare case and jacket for this album, please e-mail me, because I appear to have lost mine.
Bush occupies a weird position in my music life. Spring of my senior year (1996, if you're keeping score at home), THE event was the Bush concert at the State Fair Arena in OKC, with Goo Goo Dolls and No Doubt opening up. Anyone who was anyone was there, and Bush did not disappoint, churning out the hits off this album, as well as a bornus cover of REM's "The One I Love." I even bought the t-shirt.
Which I then gave to my sister a month later, as the Bush backlash began. By the time their second album came out, when I was in college, it wasn't even remotely cool to like Bush (though I did secretly learn the guitar chords to "Swallowed" when my roommate was at class).
Nine years later, I don't see what all the fuss was about. First of all, Bush doesn't realy sound much like Nirvana at all. If anything, they're both ripping off the Pixies. Secondly, what the hell is Gavin Rossdale talking about? Why didn't I notice that these lyrics are utter and complete gibberish when I first bought this? And once you get past "come Down" and "Machinehead" the songs aren't that great, either. (p.s.: my old buddy Chris Friend wrote a parody song of Machinehead called "Stoplighthead" in high school... it was pretty much the same song, with "machine" replaced with "stoplight" ... yet it was still hilarious)
Sadly, Bush aren't even a fond memory these days, and Gavin Rossdale is known mostly as Mr. Gwen Stefani. Who'da thunk that? In 1996, surrounded by rabid adoring fans crushing the stage at the State Fair Arena, I certainly wouldn't have.

P.S. On a related note, I can find the jacket and case for my copy of Sponge's Rotting Pinata, but can't find the album. If you have a spare copy, e-mail me.

Comments:
Remember when the Goo Goo Dolls were on stage playing a song, and they stopped to hear what one guy in the audience was screaming at them? Something along the lines of, "you suck, we want Bush!"

Who-da thought that the Goo Goo Dolls would outlast Bush, and still be churning out music a decade later? I think I read something recently about one of the Goo Goo Dolls guys calling themselves the "M" word. What did "M" stand for? "Mature."

How edgy.
 
Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?