<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Thursday, July 08, 2004

July 3: Vertical Horizon - Everything You Want 

This is a leftover from Keep or Sell month, though I never bought it. It's a relic from my short career as a music reviewer. I actually saw Vertical Horizon and Stroke 9 at the House of Blues in New Orleans four years ago, and the only thing I remember is how inoffensive they were. And this CD reflects that; it's like rock and roll that's been focus-grouped and test-marketed. Hey, it's got that "Everything You Want" song on it, that was a No. 1 hit! And the other songs on the album sure aren't going to offend anybody!
Vertical Horizon were a generic acoustic jam band from the East Coast throughout the early '90s, then added a bass player and drummer and put this highly-polished album out. And it worked; they sold millions of copies. But like most albums like this, the follow-up was ignored; critics didn't even take the time to trash it. So I guess that's the end of Vertical Horizon.

I think this one's going in the "sell" pile.

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?