<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Sunday, June 27, 2004

June 27: The All-American Rejects (self-titled) 

Why do I own this? Come on... got to support local talent...

Twelve Pearls has a bizarre love-hate relationship with the All-American Rejects (for instance, I can't play this album around the band). As most of you probably know, the two groups started out in Stillwater at about the same time, and regularly played next door to each other. I can remember sneaking out of a 12p gig at Chub's and catching a couple of minutes of the Rejects' set through the window in Mike's College Bar on my way to get a coney. The two bands played together once: at Bennett Jam in the fall of '01. As I remember, Tyson was a cocky jerk, Nick was a pretty nice guy. A couple of months later, Tyson got in a fight with Jordan at a house party in Stillwater, and we pretty much lost any chance of opening for the Rejects on their nationwide tour... oh, well. So as a result, I have no real emotional attachment to this CD except jealousy. Plus, I have the original Doghouse Records packaging (it was re-released by Dreamworks about six months later), so why not sell it back for some bucks?
Dammit, it's just too good. The lyrics are abysmally bad (thanks, Tyson), but the music is sheer poptastic wonder, crammed with chimes, orchestral flourishes, drumbeats, and other cool stuff. (thanks, Nick!) Much as I don't want to, I love it.

Keep or Sell? Keep. Dammit.

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?