<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Monday, June 21, 2004

June 19: Queens of the Stone Age - Songs for the Deaf 

Why do I own this? Actually, I liked this CD a lot. Then I really soured on QOTSA after Matt and I went to see them at the Bricktown Events Center in OKC, and my ears got blasted so bad that they were still ringing four days later (no joke). I haven't listened to it since then. Plus, there was the whole drama with Nick, the bass player, leaving in a huff.

Well, first off, upon re-listen, Nick's songs suck. He just screams a lot. The band is going to suffer a lot more with the loss of Mark Lanegan, the ex-Screaming Trees guy who did vocals on four or five songs. Actually, when Matt and I went to see QOTSA, Lanegan came out in the middle of the set, stood ramrod straight with his hands stuck on the mike stand for his songs, then left without saying a word. There are probably three or four too many songs on this thing, but you can't beat Dave Grohl's drums, and the best songs (especially "No One Knows") border on orchestral in their complexity.

Keep or Sell? Why did I ever doubt you, Queens? Keep.

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?