<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Tuesday, March 09, 2004

March 6: Midnight Oil - 20,000 Watt R.S.L. 

Home country - Australia

I thought about doing INXS for my last Australian CD, but then I decided to go with Midnight Oil, the most Australian of Australian bands (except for possibly Men at Work).
I first encountered the Oils in '93 when they played "Truganini" on Saturday Night Live, and I think that's still my favorite song of theirs. This is their greatest-hits album from '97, and once you get past the hard-core leftist politics (which don't bother me as much as, say, Kit), there's some really good songs on here: "Beds are Burning," "Blue Sky Mine," "Forgotten Years." Plus, their lead singer is 7 feet tall and did pre-emptive baldness before Ed Kowalczyk, Billy Corgan, OR Michael Stipe.

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?