<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Saturday, March 20, 2004

March 18: James - Laid 

Home: Manchester, England

The first concert I ever saw was James, on the Laid tour, at Six Flags over Texas in spring '94, when I was 15 years old (wow... that was 10 years ago). So this album has always had a soft spot in my heart. Also, they got together at the U. of Manchester, which is pretty cool (I can count the number of successful bands that got together at Tulane with no hands).
Laid was James' big success story, produced by Brian Eno, who did U2's Joshua Tree and a bunch of other important rock stuff. And this album is really good, although there are a few too many dirges. The only three up-tempo songs are the three singles: "Laid," "Sometimes," and "Say Something."
I'd make a joke about never forgetting the first time you get Laid, but that would be sophomoric, wouldn't it? Of course, I was a sophomore when I bought this album...

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?