<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Sunday, February 08, 2004

February 8: Black Lab - Your Body Above Me 

Another CD from the "where-are-they-now" files; I really would like to know because Black Lab knocked me over and stepped on my prone body a few times when I saw them in spring '98. To this day, the best show I've ever seen was Our Lady Peace and Black Lab at the House of Blues in New Orleans. Expecting almost nothing from Black Lab, they tore the house down, then Our Lady Peace (riding high on "Clumsy" at the time and using their complete Canadian arena tour stage setup IN A 600-CAPACITY CLUB) came out, rebuilt the house, then tore it down again. It was mind-blowing how good those two were that night, like they were trying to one-up each other and succeeding. You have to remember, when you live in New Orleans, three-fourths of the shows suck because the bands get wasted on Bourbon Street before they go on stage, so a truly great show sticks with you.
Anyway, I hadn't listened to this in probably four years, and pulled it out this morning. And it's still really good, and it got me thinking: where did Black Lab go? They had two radio hits, "Wash It Away," and "Time Ago," and then - poof! gone. If you go to their website, it hasn't been updated since summer 2000 but mentions they had some trouble with their record company and got released from their contract. And they did have a song on the Spider-Man soundtrack two years ago, but who knows how old it was. If anybody knows the Black Lab story, let me know; I'd kill to see them again live.

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?