<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Thursday, February 05, 2004

February 4: The Divine Comedy - fin de siècle 

The Divine Comedy are completely brilliant, but a very acquired taste. Essentially, this is "symphonic power-pop" - Burt Bachrach-style '60s lounge music with a bit of a '90s update crossed with classical. Really just one man, Neil Hannon, from Northern Ireland, this is their 1998 album with the song "National Express," all about Britain's version of Greyhound buses. I think I played it for one of my friends here once, and he hated it. But I think it's awesome. Sample lyric from "Everybody Knows that I love you (except you)" : I told the stars above / about the one I love / I told the passers-by / I made a small boy cry."
Brilliant!

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?