<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Saturday, January 31, 2004

January 31: Iron Maiden - mixtape 

OK, dirty little secret time: I like Iron Maiden. A lot. Not enough to have ever bought one of their albums, but enough that I've held on to this mixtape a buddy of mine from junior high made me for 12 years now. That's a lot of love for a mixtape not made by an ex-girlfriend who broke your heart by sleeping with the entire JV basketball team.
Iron Maiden are cool because they took the whole Dio swords 'n sorcery thing (stand up and SHOUT!!!) and added thoughtful lyrics about European history and literature, like World War I and Samuel Taylor Coleridge. True story - the same guy who made me this mixtape had a paper due on "The Rime of the Ancient Mariner." He didn't actually read the poem, but he did listen to the Maiden song BASED on the poem several times. And he got an A.
Now that's a good band.

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?