<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Monday, January 05, 2004

January 3: Muse - Absolution 

It's an absolute crime (like the pun?) that this isn't available in the U.S. yet. I got my copy at Waterloo Records in Austin as an Australian import. I love hearing bands set the bar extremely high musically and then succeed. Who says being pretentious isn't cool? As near as I can figure, this is sort of a concept album about the end of the world (song titles include "Apocalypse Please," "Our time is running out," and "Thoughts of a Dying Atheist"), but there's a whole lot more to it than that, and metal, orchestral pop, and alt-rock collide with each other frantically.
Once I got over the fact that Matthew Bellamy sounds a whole lot like Thom Yorke, I just sat back and enjoyed the ride. A little Internet research, and I discovered that this is actually the fourth album from this British trio, and only the first was released in the U.S. I don't get record execs sometimes; I'm sure more people would buy this than are lined up for the new Papa Roach album.

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?