<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Tuesday, January 27, 2004

January 26: Toad the Wet Sprocket - P.S.: a Toad Retrospective 

Here's your question to ponder for the week: Was Toad the Wet Sprocket anybody's favorite band? I say this because, as I listened to this greatest-hits CD for the first time in awhile, I realized I'd forgotten how many good songs they had. And I own all the albums from '92 on.
Toad started out as sort of a folk band, then in the early '90s ripped off R.E.M.'s Out of Time pretty hardcore with songs like "Walk on the Ocean" (that's how I got into them), then in the mid-'90s began combining folk, country and grunge to good effect with tunes like "Fall Down" and "Something's Always Wrong." (remember those?) But to this day, my primary memories of Toad the Wet Sprocket are that an ex-girlfriend got me their B-sides collection on cassette tape for Christmas '95, and I carpooled down to the House of Blues in New Orleans in the spring of '98 to see them only to find out that tickets had sold out 30 minutes before, and I had to take the streetcar back. Oh yeah, and their drummer was a midget. I always liked Toad, but if I was compiling a list of my favorite bands, they'd probably be towards the lower end of the Top 20 (hell, if I was compiling a list of stupidest band names, they'd only be second, right behind Hootie and right ahead of Better than Ezra).
So was Toad the Wet Sprocket your favorite band? Tell us about it on our new message board. I got so many responses telling me the true story of Collective Soul's whereabouts (fired their guitarist, are recording a new album) that we figured we'd set this up. Feel free to argue about our picks or suggest new picks. Or tell us that we suck. That's cool, too.

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?