<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Tuesday, January 13, 2004

January 12: Jet - Get Born 

OK, true story (no fooling): When I was living in England (late '98), I had bought this POS acoustic guitar from the same shop Noel Gallagher of Oasis used, and I was writing loads of songs because I didn't own a TV and there was nothing better to do. I remember one week I bashed out about 20 "garage-rock" songs that sounded like the Kinks... you know, four chords, very staccato. And I thought, "Nah... that'll never come back in style," and I scrapped 'em all.
And you know what? If I got a band together today, went into a studio and recorded all those songs that were written FIVE YEARS AGO, people would say I had ripped off the Hives and the Strokes, who I didn't hear until 2001 at the earliest.
So when I listen to Jet's CD (it's really good, by the way), and then I see the Strokes sniping at Jet for ripping them off, I think about those songs I wrote in England. It sucks to come up with the same idea as someone thousands of miles away, and then get accused of copying them. So I respect Jet. Besides, their CD makes the Strokes look like a bunch of prep-school milquetoasts (which, come to think of it, they are).

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?